View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think we need to put this conversation in some context. Most of the stories about the stop sign that people decide to tell about their usage of the "stop sign" ends up in a T anyway. That does not sound like a very good tool if you ask me. If you do something that only exacerbates the behavior, I do not see that as something.

Also how can I tell a coach not to make gestures and as an official I am making a gesture that everyone can see?

On Friday I was working a Regional Championship game. The top seed had a very experienced coach who coached a Division 1 program in the Chicago area at one. I made an obvious travel call very early in the game after a loose ball where a player gained possession against this coach’s team. I come in front of him after the ball was ruled dead. I was standing right next to this coach and simply told him, “We are not going to yell at me all night about travel calls.” He started to yell at me again and I said, “We are not going to yell at me when I am talking to you.” I think proceeded to explain to him what took place. After a timeout he tried to talk to one of my partners who was a State Final Official and works in a supervisory role with officials on another level. All my partner said to him, “Coach, there is a right way to complain about a call.” No one heard these conversations (it was very loud in the gym) and the coach behaved himself the rest of the night. He did not yell at me or any of my partners again. He was warned as well and he got the message. No stop sign given and no T given. I consider that a win-win.

Peace