View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 04:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19
In the "Little Travels" thread, one poster observed: "Avantage/disadvantage applies to contact, not violations, such as travel."

Without question, and to differing degrees (sometimes greatly differing degrees), we ALL consider advantage/disadvantage when looking at contact and determining whether to call a foul. And it seems to me that NONE of us consider advantage/disadvantage when, for example, a player dribbling the ball steps on the sideline. It is a violation every time we see it.

In my area, our assignor has told us not to call the illegal dribble/palming violations when the player who otherwise would have violated is by her/himself dribbling. Basically, call violation if, and only if, a player gains an advantage by using an illegal dribble to go past someone. So, clearly not all violations are treated with the same view as stepping OOB.

My question is this: what is the best way to think of advantage/disadvantage when it comes to violations? Let's not revisit the entire ad/disad issue dealing with fouls (that's for the other thread), but this is intended as a violations-only thread.

bgtg19:

I have some disappointing news for you. Advantage/disadvantage does NOT ever apply to violations. The NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules Committees are quite clear about this. The Oswal Tower Philosophy of Advantage/Disadvantage is only to be applied to contact. Therefore: 1) You failed to include a category the states that Ad/DisAd does NOT ever apply; and 2) The Tower Philosophy makes your poll invalid.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio