View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
thanks for the clarification, instead of try I should have said attempt for goal.

As we know the try is an attempt to score a field goal.

Thanks
DAvid
Whatever you call it, it still doesn't matter. As Bob said, when a live ball passes through the basket, we score the points (2 or 3). If a player shoots at the wrong basket, it's not a try but we still score the points albeit for the other team. The only difference I can think of where we have to determine whether it is a try or not relates to an event that would cause the ball to become dead. By that I mean, if a try is in flight and time expires, the ball does not become dead and if it goes through the basket we still count it. If it is not a try, the ball becomes dead when time expires. Just like a 3 point basket. We don't have to determine whether it is a try or not, just the location of the person throwing the ball. If they attempt an alley-oop and intsead the ball goes through the basket, it's still a score (2 or 3 depending on location of the thrower) even though it may not be a try. Did I confuse everyone enough already?

Mregor