View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Why should the players have to adjust to what "You" call? Shoudn't they play within the rules, and when they don't, expect to get called for fouls or violations? This is my point - they shouldn't have to adjust to you - they should adjust to the rules. They shouldn't have to change how they play game to game to fit with the ref they are playing with that day.
You are taking this to the extreme. Who in here has said they are going to chuck the rulebook and call the game anyway they please?

We learn as we gain experience. And 99% of the experienced officials here have learned there are times when they have to weigh 1) judgement 2) advantage/disadvantage 3) the rulebook 4) POE's 5) how the supervisor wants things done 6) the level of play. We have learned how to properly balance all 6 of those considerations.

You seem to be on a one man crusade. I'm still waiting to hear what your D1 colleagues tell you about following the rulebook to the letter of the law. What have you been told when you've attended camps and NBA/NBDL/NCAA D1 officials have been on the sideline observing you and giving you feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Does it make sense that my team, as stated above, should have such a wide variety of outcomes to a game based on how the officials are that day? Or should they expect if they come up against a team which does things outside the rules (read "fouls") a lot, that they'll get a lot of fouls called, and when they play against a team which stays within the rules most of the time, little will be called?
Are you here speaking as an official or as a coach who is unhappy with his local officiating?