View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Then explain to me why you have rule makers or POE's saying "Call this, every time" - and interpreters and assignors saying "Don't call this" or "Call it this way (in a way which contradicts the way the rule maker or POE says), and it's wrong or looked down upon to do what the rules say, but not what the assignors or interpreters say?

(and don't just come back with "Do whatever you want - you will anyway", or anything like that. I'm looking for a reason why we feel that this is appropriate to have this contradition occur - rule says one thing, assignor/interpreter says another - shouldn't we be consistent?)
I work for supervisors, not a rulebook. If the people I work for say something about how I'm officiaiting then I'll change. If my more successful colleagues see something I'm doing wrong, I'll change it. Otherwise I'm going to continue to officiate according to my feel for the game. My feel for the game includes what I've learned from the Officials' Manual and what is prescribed by the rulebook and casebook. My feel is also based on the teams and level I am officiating.

I'm a very consistent official. Coaches and players don't have to guess how I'm going to call the game. You don't give coaches and players enough credit. They learn to adjust to whomever is officiating the game, at least the successfull teams do.

Like I asked before, tell me how this conversation has gone with guys in your area who have made it to the D1 level. Do they agree with you?