View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:54am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
There ARE 'weaker' umpires in all levels of college ball, when compared to the 'better' (more experienced) college umpires. But even way back when, I would not get along with a PU who asked (told) me to call check swings his way, as one poster suggested here. You follow, to the best of your ability, the guidelines (or requirements) of the league and/or association you work for.

When you come on a board with the attitude that I work (or worked) college or professional ball (MiLB or MLB) therefore I know it all and I am a better umpire than you, you can expect to meet some resistance.
Every other sport I have worked, it is quite acceptable for a senior official, who is the crew chief that day, to advise to his crew on that day how he would like certain actions to be judged and called for that game.

I have never had a partner become offended by this practice in baseball. No feedback has ever gotten back to me via the "long way around" about this practice. On the contrary, most of my "weaker" partners have expressed gracious statements for sharing this "gem" with them, and after the game told me how much more confident they were in making a check swing determination!

If you are an old hat, unless you specifically asked me about this, I would certainly not cover it in a pre-game. If you did ask me about this, I would explain how I would determine it and leave it up to you to decide if you feel comfortable with that or not. But with newer, "weaker" officials, I am expected to take on a leadership role, and will do so!

I can certainly understand how somebody might take offense to perceived officious approach I have described above. But from a personal standpoint, I realize that to become a better official, I must be willing to seek out all points of view, and accept them in principle, even if I don't care for the approach displayed in offering it!