View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
There is a team I worked twice this season that seems to have an interesting strategy along these lines.

It appears that they're coached to go aggressively at the ball without regard to fouls with the hope that either the officials will get tired of calling the fouls and will only call the "worst" of them and/or the other team will cower from the repeated contact allowing the aggressive team to take over the game. It makes for a really ugly and unenjoyable game.

They rotate a lot of players onto the floor so foul trouble is not particulary a concern for most of the team.

In both of their games, we probably called over 15 fouls per half on this team with NO adjustment whatsoever from the team. They just keep bumping, slapping, and grabbing.

The coach didn't like me one bit because I wouldn't "let them play". I persisted in not allowing them to pummel their opponents into the floor until they gave up.

Note that I'm just as happy to have a half with under 5-6 fouls per team (and I've had several of those too).
Wow Camron -- were you at my game last night? This describes the visiting team almost exactly. First half, I think we called around 12 or 13 fouls on them, and at halftime, the board said 10-3 (they stop putting them up after 10). Second half was more of the same, and in the end, I think we probably called around 15-16 on the visitors, and 6 on the home team. THing was, visitors were up 4 after the first quarter, 15 at the half, and won going away by about 25 or so. SOme nights, though, you just gotta keep blowing the whistle.