View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

i have had a situation or 2 come up where after I make my call i am not to happy with it -- coach says something like they disagree and asks what I had and I tell them "coach right now I am not too happy with that call either -- I will work harder next time." -- then move on. you have to read a coach and understand if they can handle this comment in a responsible manner -- if you think they will be a jerk down the line with it by bringing it up then just say something like "i will work harder to get a better angle next time".

its ok to show you could have screwed up but that you will work to improve. good coaches expect officials to screw up here and there and as long as its consitent they will work with you.

in your case there was no working with him -- next time maybe try and get your partner to attempt to smooth things over with the coach to cool him down while you are attempting the first set of T free throws. however unless he says something across court then nail him. I try and defuse situations between my partner and coaches whenever possible -- sometimes not possible at all and 99% of the time the coach gets what he deserves.