View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonohah
Situation: T'd up a coach for unsportsmanlike in the 1st quarter. 3rd quarter started and I called a foul on player #3. Coach proceded to substitute player. 5 minutes go by and the coach attempts to re-enter #3, at which time the table calls me over and informs me the #3 had 5 fouls. I inform the coach and he disagrees with the number of fouls. He claims the player only had 3 at half time and that he made a purpose of checking before going into the locker room. I ask the scorer if this is correct and she disagrees and says he had 4 fouls. I inform the coach again the sheet reads five and the player cannot enter. The coach gets upset and I assess a second T and an ejection.

I question 2 things: Should I be checking the scoresheet at halftime and verifying players who are in foul trouble? and should I have given the second technical considering the situation?

This coach is experienced and it is hard for me to beleive he would allow one of his starters to get 4 fouls in the first half. Not to mention the scorer was a volunteer parent who didn't seem to have much experience.

Thanks.
Whoever is the official scorer is who you check with. At halftime, the 'R' is to check and make sure the score is correct, AP arrow in the right direction, and check to see if there is any discrepancies between the scorer(s). So that could have mitigated the problem. It is not your responsibility to know who and how many have fouls. The coach can check that themselves or have a someone else on the team do it.

Your judgment for the second 'T'. IF you felt he deserved it either you being right or wrong. It's called mutual respect and he didn't give it. If you feel you may have been wrong, you may have take a little more heat than normal. But, it is still no excuse for a coach to lose it.