View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
So, I've got some more church league games this weekend and want to spend these games focusing on mechanics. I think I've got the routine down for calling fouls: whistle, clenched fist, call color, number, signal type of foul to offending player, report to table, color/number/type again, signal shots or spot of throw in.

Is that right?
Yup.

Quote:
Also, some of the slang terms we use for fouls don't have actualy signals for them, so what do you use in these cases:

Illegal screen (push? PCF?)
Illegally fighting around the screen
Over the back (push again? or illegal use of hands)
The illegal screen is usually a block for me. Fighting through the screen is a push. Rebounding fouls are usually a push also.

Just a note, the illegal screen is almost never a player control foul. To be a PC foul, the player must be holding or dribbling the ball (or be an airborne shooter). The player with the ball is almost never the one to be guilty of a bad screen. It is, however, a team control foul now. This is signalled with the "punch".

Quote:
Also, do you audibly call out the type of foul when you give the signal or do you just give it?

Thanks!
I personally do not verbalize the foul at the spot of the foul. I'm probably supposed to, but I don't. I just indicate which team it's against and if we're shooting or possession. At the table, I give the signal, but again I don't say it.