Thread: Flipping over
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
When I initially see this, my mind thinks in regard to rule 4-27-5: If however a player approaches an opponent from behind or from a position from which he/she has no reasonable chance to play the ball without making contact with the opponent, the responsibility is on the player in the unfavorable position.

I follow your perspective in the initial act of B1 reaching over without contact. I have no call there. B1 puts one hand under the ball. I still have no call at this time; neither held ball or pushing. But in my mind any subsequent contact due to B1's unfavorable position is still on him, not on A1 trying to maintian possession.

But as JR stated. If you see held ball first, call it. Nothing matters after that (except flying elbows, etc. etc.)
I'm presenting this under the assumption that B1 did NOT make contact with A1 while going for the ball. Therefore, they are both responsible for any contact made after that point.

NCAA 10.20.1 makes no distinction about having possession of the ball in initiating rough contact or bending unnaturally. To me, it's just as if A1 had grabbed B1 by the arm and judo flipped him to the ground. B1 had a legit play on the ball, and unncessary and rough contact was initiated by A1......T.