View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Real situation with a hypothetical added on

This has happened to us all before. I was just wondering what the actual rule would be...meaning, what would we technically have to do or enforce. I must be missing something.

Here is what happened...guy is shooting free throws. He has had the ball for about 4-5 seconds when he goes to dribble and drops it. (The time is a factor because it is too late for us to say we gave him a bad pass, or to start over). The ball rolls slowly down the middle of the lane. When does he violate? He never steps over the line. Is it a violation when we get to 10 seconds on our count?

Now, this had me thinking--what if he drops it and doesn't move and 1) a player on the other team steps in to retrieve the ball. Double Violation? (Not what would we do--what would be the ruling here).

2) What if it bounces to his teammate (who does not step in the lane) who then passes it back to him within the ten seconds? Is that legal? Surely I am missing a rule.

Anyhow...the top play happened the other night, and when the kid didn't even move until the 10 seconds was up I could actually see the other things happening, including 3) the opposing team stepping into the lane to throw it back to him and then the FT shooter missing and we give him another FT due to the lane violation by the opponent.

All food for thought and also my own sanity. Thanks.