View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Let me put it this way. I have been doing this for a decade now. I there are things I do excellent. There are things I can do a lot better. This year I have just felt good about how I deal with coaches. There are still mechanics that I could get a lot better at. There are judgment calls that I can be a lot more consistent on. Either way it goes, I have to work hard every single night to work decent games. Some might say I am doing a good job, but I am only as good as my last game. I rarely walk away completely happy with the job I do. I am far away from mastering the game of basketball from the whistle side of the game.

Peace
In my short time of officiating I have to agree that I walk away thinking I could have done better. When you are on the sidelines it seems like you can see everything, but when you are on the court and have a split second to make a call or the game passes you by.... then you recall not all contact is a violation.... and the 1000 other rules the fans and parents dont know... I never dreamed it would be so hard, but that is what makes it exciting to me. I can not imagine what the pressure of a HS V game would be. Blowing a rule in Rec play; no biggie. Blowing a rule in HS V; get a rope... As you implied, I think setting goals for the season is a great idea. How else can you improve? Works for Tiger, right?