View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I agree with this but for alot of people, they measure it in years. This will be my 5th year of working any kind of ball and I have reffed around 700 games (maybe more) and yet people think I am still new to the game because I just started reffing regular season HS games and college games. What do years have to do with it? You gain experience by working games, therefore I am with bgtg19 and think people should base your experience in games reffed not in years you have been working.
Working games alone is not what makes you good or gives you experience. I personally think it is the kind of games you work that mean more. Working a Men's league for example is not what makes you a better official if you are trying to gain experience at the HS varsity or college ranks. Not to say you cannot learn something from any game, but working a Men's league is not the same as a HS game with a packed house and playoffs, jobs and memories and school legacy is on the line (with the whole town watching). Another reason you cannot compare all levels of games, is because you are not necessarily required to go through all the motions of a regular game. You might deal with making calls, but you might not have the same clock concerns and rules situations that are created during a regular game. I do a lot of summer ball HS leagues and there is nothing similar about those games as the regular season.

Peace