Thread: T-worthy?
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 02:11pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The following definition of wrist is found in Webster's New World Dictionary of Americal English, Third Edition, Copyright 1988:

wrist (rist) n.: 1: the joint or part of the arm between the hand and the forearm; carpus.

The arm is made up of two parts: lower arm and upper arm.

The lower arm is connected to the hand by the wrist.

Which means the wrist is not part of the hand.
You gave me the definition for wrist not hand. I have given you 2 reputable definitions of hand as including the wrist. Look up hand and you will find that it includes the wrist. Might I suggest Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary and dictionary.com.
Hold a basketball in your hands. Your wrist will not be in contact with the ball. If the offensive player's hand is in contact with the all and a defensive player hits the offensive player's hand it is not a foul, but if the defender hits the offensive player's wrist the defensive player has committed a foul. The wrist in NOT part of the hand and it has never been considered part of the hand per NFHS and NCAA rules.

In 31 years of basketball officiating I have never heard anybody say the it is not a foul by a defensive player when the hit an offensvie player on the wrist of the hand which in contact with the ball. And there is a reason for that. It is a foul. I am sorry if I sound a little touchy but I am really tired of some of the nonsense that is being promoted by some officials that are devoid of logic and have no basis in the rules.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio