Thread: IRS help
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyref
I agree with most all the above, mileage not just to games but to your meetings also, fees, uniforms and I dedut for all parts of my uniforms jerseys, pants, shoes, socks, etc. all those items that I only use to ref in. I understand what "Eastshire" said above about those items that can be used for personal use but I take the opion that I can show that these items are only used to ref so I take them and let the IRS say I can not. Also with uniforms you can take cleaning, at the beginning of the season I take my uniform to a cleaner and then use the cost from the cleaner as the fair market value to clean my uniform for evey game. If you get your assignment by the internet you can take a portion of your internet fee, also you can take a portion of your cell phone if you use this to be in contact with your partners, asignor, or school (it will probably be a small part). You can also deduct for meals when you are outside the area that you live in (ie the county or city you live in) to call a game, you can take the actual expense or take a portion of the pre dieum allowance that the IRS allows for your area. Also remember to report all your income not just the amounts that you receive a 1099 for. You are asking for problems if you do not.
Wow. You had better hope you never get audited because you will get hammered for some of this. Specifically, you cannot deduct expenses you did not actually incur. If you did not take your uniform to the cleaners after every game, you can't deduct the cleaning cost. Beyond which, they will deny the deduction if you can't produce receipts.

I will say this: there has been a lot, and I mean a lot, of bad and simply wrong advice given in this thread. If you don't want to get hammered in an audit, I suggest you visit your local CPA to discuss how to handle your return.