Thread: T-worthy?
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 08:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Just looking for opinions.

Boys Varsity game. A1 dribbling along baseline, B1 reaches for ball, hits A1 on the wrist, ball goes OOB. Could probably call a foul on B1, but instead I simply award the ball OOB to A. Team A inbounds and scores. As B1 is dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt (I'm trail, opposite table), Coach B is standing at the table and yells to me "You missed that one, ref!" He wasn't angry or accusing. Just matter of fact.

I banged him.

What do you think, honestly? He'd been chirping for most of the game. But 1) at the table, 2) yelling across the court, 3) everybody could hear. I didn't feel I could ignore it. Was I too thin-skinned?

Not that it matters for this particular situation, but this is the same game in which I later DQ'd a player for punching an opponent.

Chuck
Excellent no-call! I think this type of call is perfect - a case of higher-calibre officiating. Coach B was complaining. What a dumbnut. I would only have T'd him if you had previously warned him for being vocal. Otherwise, this play would a perfect time to issue a (in private) warning, along with a nice "Coach, your player also fouled him on the play."

..Mike