View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAWhistleBlower
I went ahead and wrote the guy...thought I'd pass it on. I could be way off base, here, though...correct me if you think I was out of line:

Coach -

Read your article. Not saying I disagree on all the points you've made, but you should know that not every "bump" should be labeled a foul....contrary to what your article suggests. I do disagree that the bumps on the rebounds, even though brought down by the player fouled, should be called every time. Most of the time we don't call these, as the contact doesn't affect the play. Our job as officials are to get the fouls that mean something to the game because they affect an opponent's speed, agility or direction. When we start blowing the whistle at everything, it's bad for the game, bad for the teams, bad for the fans. If you'd rather see all the guys/girls foul out of a game than watch a contest of athleticism and ability (and I'm not saying this to be rude) then you should probably get off the sideline.

By the way....did you notice that your baseball reference was a contridiction to the point of your article? When it comes to basketball, as the level gets higher, the calls get looser (not tighter) and players are expected to play through contact they may not have experienced in Jr. High/JV stuff. If we start calling "touch" fouls, at the varsity level, then we are not preparing them for the next level, and doing a great disservice to the players.

Now I only referee men's basketaball, both at the high school and college level. Perhaps over on the girls side, the players should be treated like...I don't know...girls?

Take care,

Mike
Atta boy!!