Thread: IRS help
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

You can write off uniforms, Pants, shirts, shoes socks, compresion items
You can write off milage, there are two different ways to do it. Keeping track of miles is easiest though.
You can write off meals that are related to what you do, if it is a meeting with an assignor, AD or another official.
You can write off an area of your house if you have a home office for officiating. Along with that you can also write off part of your utilities also.
You can write off your cell phone, if it is used for your officiating needs.
You can write off ( depresiate) computers, PDA's, navigation equipment, Fax machines. Most any electronic device that you use for officiating.

Licenses, Memberships, clinics. As long as it has to do with your business.

You have to remeber that, even though most of us dont look at it this way, the government looks at us as a business. So anything used to help you run your business you can write off or partially write off. As long as you can document it.

I use Online Turbo Tax when i do my taxes, it works well for taking you through step by step of schedule C for an at home business.

As for income, Parks and such will generally send you a 1099 form. Schools generally issue you a check and you should keep track of those. If you ae paid in cash you are suppose to turn that in. Although i know some guys that dont. To me it is not worth the risk of not turning it in.