View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
This young man, a Wendelstedt grad, is no longer with AMLU or MiLB. The problem was not with his "story." He told it straight. He made an out call call on a runner who was safe. He admitted that from the get-go.

The problem was that he thought it was okay to do that because the runner pi$$ed him off. He was informed very quickly that he was incorrect.
Hi Garth:

Assuming this was a game that counted, why didn't the coach simply protest the call? By the umpire saying what he did, he just turned a routine judgement call into a rules violation. He admitted to the coach that his runner was safe but called him out "on principal" and while I am all for a rule that says an umpire at his/her discretion can call a runner out "on prinicipal" there presently is none.

Also, suppose this: You are the PU and for sake of argument the crew chief as well. The coach now wants to come to you for a ruling:

Coach says to you: Hey Blue Your partner Joe called my runner out at first base "on principal" He told me himself he was safe but called him out anyway.

We all know that we are not supposed to over-turn our partners calls etc, but now you have a situation where your partner by saying what he did mis-applied a rule. If he wanted to "send a message" he should have simply kept his mouth shut.

What do you do?

Pete Booth