Thread: T-worthy?
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 09:13pm
Administrator

Lets have a little bit of a recap here.

B1 fouls A1 causing A1 to lose control of the ball which goes out-of-bounds having last touched A1. The covering official does not charge the B1 with a foul, this means the A1 has caused the ball to go out-of-bounds, meaning the Team B is entitled to a throw-in because of A1's out-of-bounds violation. But wait, not only does the covereing official not charge a foul to B1 he gives the ball back to Team A for a throw-in because if he had called a foul on B1, Team A would have only gotten the ball back for a throw-in because it was not in the bonus and it also meant the he and his partner (two-person officiating crew) did not have to switch. This is not just illogical, it is sheer nonsense and borders on unethical officiating.

I am tired of officials who do not want to do the job that were hired to do. If you do not want to officate correctly, do not officiate. I rarely take the side of coaches, but this is one time I am going to take Coach B's side. You claimed that he had been chipping at you all night and then you delibertly make an incorrect call so you do not have to swith and be on his side of the court, and then long distance T him because yelled at you in a non-threatening manner. The only thing that saved you tuckus regarding the technical foul is that Coach B was out of the coaching box. You bet I am going to rip you a new hole in your tuckus Chuck. Do the job correctly the first time and you would not have to make a posting to get your ego stroked about the T you are having second thoughts about calling.

I do not want to hear about flow of the game and about not being lazy. When you do not do the job correctly it is being lazy. John Cloughty (YSU alumni like me, go Penquins) says that there is not such thing as a "gut" call, either you make the call or you do not. Peter Webb (IAABO President) says much the same thing when he states that there is not such thing as a "no call," either you make the call or you do not. Peter also says that the officials job is to observe the play and when an infraction occurs stop play and issue the appropriate penalty.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio