Thread: T-worthy?
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
to Chuck: B1 fouled A1 causing the ball to go out-of-bounds off A1. You cannot justify giving the ball to Team A for a throw-in. You stated that Team A was not in the bonus and therefore would have just gotten the ball for a throw-in anyway. [snip] Those are not valid reasons for not calling the foul on B1, they are excuses for not doing the job correctly.
With due respect, Mark, (and I mean that sincerely) I simply disagree. I think, quite frankly, that those are valid reasons for not calling a foul on B1. We look at contact every trip down the floor and we have to ask ourselves, "How will that contact affect the play?" In my play, the contact affected the play by causing a throw-in for Team A. So, was the contact severe enough to warrant a foul? I honestly didn't think so. So I simply awarded the throw-in without calling the foul.

Quote:
Sounds to me that you were not diligent in doing your job, you were lazy, and you did not want to take the heat from Coach B.
I would say, in my defense, first that I was much more diligent and put a lot more thought into my game than an official who thinks to himself "Ooo, contact. Must be a foul!" I'm not lumping you into that category, Mark, but I think that some thought goes into a play like this one.

Second, of all the adjectives you could've chosen, Mark, "lazy" is one that can NEVER be applied to me on the court, in a high school game. I didn't say that I didn't want to switch on the foul. I only said that the switch would be one difference (and a small one, at that) between calling a foul and a violation. If I had decided that it was a foul, then I would gladly have switched. Please do not form the impression that I would give up my mechanics to save a couple steps.

Last, heat from the coach was irrelevant in this situation. As I've mentioned previously, he'd been chirping all game, so his complaining was not new, it was just more obvious to the whole croud, which is why I decided to pull the trigger.

Chuck