View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioJ
Okay, this was beat up quite a bit in a previous post. My question concerns the cost of these background checks (hence, a different post). For those associations/organizations whose officials are having background checks done on them, who is paying? My concern is, if schools/leagues start mandating these background checks, then do I as an official have to pay for this check, or should the schools/leagues pay (or at least share the cost)?

Remember, this post just covers the cost of these checks. Nothing about legal/illegal, privacy invasions, etc. I think that was WELL discussed in the earlier post.

Thanks!

Serg
I am surprised that other Florida HS umpires haven't chimed in on this subject.

In 2005, Florida passed the Jessica Lunsford Act. (She was kidnapped and murdered by a sexual predator a few years ago.) One of the consequences is that HS officials are required to have background checks and have special photo IDs with them when they arrive at any school.

In the Panhandle, the Lunsford clearance costs $105.00 and the clearance is good for five years. In almost every case, the officials foot the bill. FHSAA will refund $34.00 for first year offcials.