Thread: pregame dunk
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 12:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SOWB_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Now it my be argued that since A1's name was not in the scorebook, he is not a team member, but as I stated in my original posting, players' names can be added to the scorebook at anytime, subject to penalties in certain circumstances. In the posted play both A1 and Head Coach A made poor decisions, but that is life, and Team A has to live with the decisions made by A1 and Head Coach A.

I agree that changes can be made prior to the game, but what rule stipulates, we have authority to force a change and not merely penalize the infractions.

Let's say that a player is left off the roster, just prior to the start of the game and the head coach informs you that they want to add the player. You tell them they can but it will be a T. Isn't it in the hands of the coach at that point if they want the player. We are just reacting to the rule infraction, not creating it.

Regarding the male player who is in uniform and dunks the ball prior to the girls game. You have nothing. You do not have jurisdiction for his game, even if you are going to officiate his game immediately after the girls game. In this scenario, I do some preventive officiating. If I saw him in the warm-up line with the girls, I would ask him if he shaved his legs everyday, if he said no, then I would tell him he could not be on the court with players who do shave their legs everyday. I can assure you that gets them off the court very quickly.
okay so let's make it a little more dramatic for the point of this debate.

Boy, graduates from an early program at the end of winter quarter. Comes back at the beginning of the school year and attends a game. In poor judgement he thinks that coming in uniform will spur his team to victory. Prior to the point where you check the book, he dunks the ball. Is he eligible to become a player? No. Could we add him as a team member? No. What if the player hadn't graduated but merely couldn't play because of failing grades?

My point being is who defines eligibility. While the book explicity does not define eligibility, I think 3-2-1 and 10-1-1 covers this. A player elibibility is determined by the roster submitted to the official scorer. Anyone not on that roster is either bench personnel or a spectator.

Lets look at your first scenario: Head Coach A comes to the Referee and says that he wants to add A13 to the scorebook. The referee should as the coach if he intends to start A13 (hence change his starting line-up). If Coach A says no, the R should explain the rule to Coach A and let him decide whether he wants the technical foul (and administratve technical foul charged to the team) now or what until A13 goes into the game. If Coach A decides to wait to enter the A13 into the book, then A13 is nothing more than bench personnel and not a team member. Meaning if A13 commits a unsportsmanlike technical, A13 is not added to the scorebook.

Your second scenario: The StateHSAA determines academic eligibility, not the official. If A13 is in uniform and he takes part in the warmups the officials have to consider him a team member. The rules are not suppose to define eligibility, that is the responsibility of the sanctioning organization. It is not the officials jurisdiction to determine one way or another if A13 is eligible per the sanctioning organization rules for eligibility. If A13 is in uniform and taking part in the warmup drills and dunks the ball, his name is now going into the scorebook and Team B is going to shoot at least two free throws depending upon how much time was on the clock when the dunk occurred. As a personal note here: If A13 is not eligible to be on the team, then why is the coach and the school administration allowing him to be in uniform and take part in the warmups. I am one of these bleeding heart liberals, but please, the coach and school administrators are supposed to be college graduates, where are their brains. The rules do not allow us to ignore the dunk by A13. The school pulled a major bonehead mistake and the team pays the price for it. And let me reiterate just once more, it is not the game officials responsibility to determine whether a player is eligible per the sanctioning organizations rules. The officials are to officiate the game per the game rules. A13 is a team member. Your rule references are good ones, they make it easier for the officials to charge A13 with a technical foul for dunking the ball and adding his name to the roster. In fact they are the rule references that I would use to justify my technical foul against A13 and adding his name to the scorebook.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio