View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Does anyone use a GPS navigation system to help get you to games on time? Can anyone recommend a decent unit with real-time traffic? Don't want to show up to the game to late
I have a Garmin 340 with the add on FM traffic receiver. I didn't get it for officiating - in my job I travel the better part of 3 states and use it when I'm traveling. That said, I have used it fairly consistently both to find the best route to schools whose location I'm not familiar with (most recently this afternoon) and to get enroute traffic in general. It has a very extensive built in location database that includes schools. In the unlikely event a school isn't in the database (only happened to me once) you simply input the street address as the destination.

In my experience it does a much better job than Mapquest, which sometimes will give you pretty convoluted directions. Another plus is that if you have to detour enroute it automatically recalculates the directions in real time as well as providing a real time ETA.

I personally prefer Garmin, because I have used their aviation products for years, but there are other good units out there - for example, I have a friend that has one of the Tom Tom units and is very pleased with it. I've also heard good things about Magellan.

Best suggestion I can make is to hit one of the big box electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) and check out the various units they have on display.