View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

My tolerance for rec players is not really an issue. It doesn't take very long for a player or a team to learn that I have a very low tolerance for bull$hit.

But my tolerance for some of the officials that I've worked with lately is even lower. From a couple of recent games with the same official:

-He failed to call a hard foul on B1 who was trying to foul to stop the clock. B1 then ate this guy up for the last minute of the game and for 5 minutes after the game was over. No T, no nothing. This official was bragging about how he ejected a player, of a different ethnic persuasion, the night before on one T. Yet, it took tons of crap from this player, who was the same race, and never said a word. Unfortunately, it was painfully obvious.

-The next time we have the same team, my partner is at T, I'm at C. B1 has come into the game and is guarding A1, 5 feet in front of me. B1 fouls A1. As I blow my whislte, so does my partner, the T from 40 feet away. I take the call. 2 trips down the floor, and it happens again, except this time, I didn't blow because there was now foul. I steamin'! At the half, I say, "Tommy, when you blow one from 40 feet away, you make us both look bad." He replies, "No, I'm gonna get him for last week!" So now, he's going to get this guy!! Evidentally, he's suddenly grew some balls! Every time B1 made any contact the rest of the game, my "partner" called a foul on him.

The same guy also:
-Called a foul at the top of the key in the BC, from the endline in the FC as the LEAD!
-Called 2 T's on a player who dunked 6 times during warm-ups and then didn't eject the guy.
-Called a kicking violation when the ball bounced off a player's foot.
-Called 3 jump balls on OOB plays when he didn't know who touched it last.
-Overruled the L from C on an OOB call.

Anyway, you get the general idea. And, of course, such people are unteachable. No wonder rec leagues and officials get such a bad rep.