Thread: Evaluations
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Boiseball,

While you've already had some objections to your post, I would have to share almost all the frustrations you offer.

In my case I first worked games almost 25 years ago and because I had played in college, gradually worked up to better games over those 4 years. I then stopped officiating to raise a family and a business but watched both my kids play HS and then college ball.

I have the time and interest now to run three or four nights a week, to try to help kids and the game. In coming back to officiating four years ago, I found that some things had changed -- at least in our area.

I've noticed that more new officials seem to work today because of the money and that a surprising number (at least to me) have not had much (in some cases, no) previous participation with competitive basketball.

I'm sure this will be popular ?, but it also seemed that more officials today come from professions where merit is not the first consideration in advancement – longevity with the system is. And that seems to carry over to the way some chapters are set up and games assigned.