Thread: Evaluations
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Why are you entitled to work games because you say you are qualified? I understand that you might have had success in one place, but you are not entitled to anything because you move to another place. Also in my experience assignors work games too. So to see you work they either have to not work a game or they have to be in two places at the same time. I know you are frustrated, but if your attitude was a little better, maybe someone would help you out. Because if you came to my area thinking you deserve something that would not make me want to help you either.

. . . he said it upset him because someone was injured or retired umpires would say, "That should be my spot." Now if that is the attitude you have given off (I do not know I am not there), it might not help you. Just work hard and contact the right people and that is all you can do. If you are truly talented, I am sure someone will help you.

When I get to a new area I just ask to have someone come watch me work and then schedule me accordingly. A good evaluator, in my opinion, can see right away what level of a referee you are. Plus, I bring a letter of recommendation from the top assignor of my former area. The attitude of "that should be my spot" only begins to rear its ugly head as you start to get well into the season and all your efforts to prove yourself have been rebuffed. Just putting your head down and watching your season slowly waste away so that no one will think you are too over-the-top or so that no one thinks you have an ego, well that is easier said than done. I am ambitious, a quality that usually serves me well in officiating. but not in this situation.