View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeneFam
I am interested in hearing some opinions from registered officials on this matter. I will give you my opinion and I think this is a perfect place to ask this question.

Am I wrong in assuming that the athletic director of Brandon High School made a huge mistake by allowing these two unregistered females to officiate? Yes! Two random unregistered females are not insured in a situation like this. Especially an underaged student. Had an accident happened during that game, both the female "referees" would have been in enormous legal trouble (not), not to mention the school. I don't think so.

Did Brandon High School violate any laws or rules by allowing this to happen?
I don't think so. Supply and demand, school was not able to get registered officials but you would be surprise at the # of officials that aren't register working these less than varisty games. IMO, this was a 9th grade game. That's it! The school doesn't charge for fans to come and see a 9th grade game. Only the parents are there to watch this. I think where issues may arise in regards to having certified officials is in the varsity game. School or state administrative boards are not going to want to hear your arguments regarding a 9th grade game and certified officials, but that's jmo. If you want to argue your kid getting hurt, he could get hurt with certified officials as well. If you're worried about this and possibly looking to take legal action, you probably shouldn't have your kid playing this sport.

BTW, all schools have liability insurance on all events. The school is covered insurance wise and that includes attorney fees, in case some parent gets a wild hair up they azz and trys to sue them for some off-the-wall crap.