View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeneFam
I am interested in hearing some opinions from registered officials on this matter.

On Tuesday, January 23rd my stepson participated in a Freshman Boys Basketball game at Brandon High School. Due to poor planning or scheduling, or perhaps just mixed signals, no registered officials were present at this game. Instead, a woman faculty member of Brandon High School, and also what I can only assume was an underaged female student, were asked to "referee" this contest. I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind this decision. Perhaps Brandon didn't want to forfeit the game, or perhaps the parties responsible simply didn't realize the error they were making in this decision.

Am I wrong in assuming that the athletic director of Brandon High School made a huge mistake by allowing these two unregistered females to officiate? Two random unregistered females are not insured in a situation like this. Especially an underaged student. Had an accident happened during that game, both the female "referees" would have been in enormous legal trouble, not to mention the school.

Did Brandon High School violate any laws or rules by allowing this to happen? My son was on the visiting team from Rochester, and a few of us were appalled by this.
GreeneFam,
I was raised in Fenton and Ortonville, Brandon, Rochester all seem like Michigan communities.

In Michigan, using unregistered officials does, as you say, open the liability issue to all participating parties (i.e., administration, athletic department, officials).

In addition a school stands to be subject to censure, probation with or without competition, loss of revenue sharing and/or expulsion from the MHSAA.

Further, it is the reponsibility of both schools to use only registered officials.

If the MHSAA does not know, then it never happened.
mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Ref
I doubt very much that anyone here could give you any kind of definitive answer. It's really outside our area of expertise.
Watchutalkin' 'bout?