View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

After seven years, I'm hangin'em up.

Seven years of rec ball that is.

When I moved back to this area, where I grew up, I started working rec ball to get to know the "right people." It's worked out fine. I officiatd in the local youth leagues for 2 years. The AD for the county recreation dept. is a well respected official with strong ties in the local association. I talked with him about officiating school ball and he hooked me up with the local booking agent. That first year I worked all the middle school and JV games that I wanted. The second year in the association I worked a 50 game varsity schedule. It's all been good since then.

But I've continued to work rec ball. There's a desperate need for quality officials, in both adult and youth leagues. My AD friend, who is also the Referee on my varsity football crew, another dividend from rec ball, asked me to continue to work. And I have because he's helped me so much in basketball and football. He gives me whatever games that I want. If a championship game is played, I'm there. If I need to be close to home, I'm there.

But I told him yesterday, that after seven years, this would be my last year. I think it's hurting me when I walk onto a high school gym floor. The type of crap that occurs in rec ball can cause you to lose focus and see things that you should ignore in a varsity game. While you can't ignore idiots in rec ball, you sometimes have to in high school. In rec ball, you sometimes have to call out of your area, to keep someone from getting killed, or you have to call a T a bit quicker to keep the game under control.

So, after 7 years, I think I've paid my dues. My friend understands and he thinks it's the right move as well. It's time to move on. Maybe attend a D2 or D3 conference camp this summer. Or maybe just sit back and take some weekends off during the fall and winter. In any case, rec ball has served me well.

But it's time to move one.