View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

This whole incident, and reading and viewing the varioius reactions, does not particularly surprise me but it sure makes me sad. Here are a view thoughts, for what they are worth:

- As others have said, it is really difficult to put yourself in someone else's position. We didn't officiate the whole game and we see snippets of what occurred. We can't know the whole story.
- Early in this thread, the two non-calling officials came under some criticism for standing near mid-court and not going to their partner's aid. I don't think that's fair. In our association, we've agreed that in incidents where mayhem is starting to break out (or might), we need some eyes and ears to watch and listen. If they had jumped right in to "help," who was going to take numbers of the bench personnel who came off the bench? I don't think I'd fault an official for trying to step in to aid a partner, but nor do I think I should fault them for staying back and doing the other part of their job. It almost seems like a "d---ed if you do, d---ed if you don't" scenario.
- Since it appears that they did eject some Huntington bench players, there would be two more foul shots (one more T) *unless* Capital bench ejections off set Huntington's, no? If haven't seen any mention of Capital ejections.
- It would have been much better for everyone if another partner had gotten the second T instead of the same official. Sometimes, you have to call both, but it looked like the partners were also in the mix when Mayo walked back through the group the second time. As a lesson that we all can learn, I think if you've already gotten the first, you try to avoid the second unless it's something that you CANNOT let go and you HAVE to go get. I have no problem, in principle, with the second T. Mayo was going in for another stare down opportunity which is certainly not sporting, but the fact that it appears that he did not say anything and that others in that group from both teams may have been similarly "offending," the fact that the same official came and go the second one does open that judment up for additional questioning.
- Poor judgment on the assistant coach/lawyer's part. Look, if you are Mayo's assistant coach, find another attorney to handle his legal issues. You are not exactly a disinterested person who can dispassionately advise Mayo of his options and rights.
- It appeared to me that after the first T, he "brushed" into Opponent #12 who clearly did not move at all. We can't tell if #12 said anything or not, but if #12 didn't say anything, and he clearly didn't move, Mayo appears to be looking for trouble and feels no responsibility for avoiding contact. The attitute "appears" to be I'm-OJ-Mayo-and-you're-not-so-you-get-out-of-my-way-when-I'm-passing. The guys at the parody site would have said that better.
- As I watch the tape, I am stunned that no teammate goes to Mayo and tries to keep him away. Yeah, someone tugged his jersey and tried to get him out initially, but where is the teammate who stays with him and talks sense to him? I don't know if the teammates are incapable of doing this or if Mayo himself has made it clear that he does not welcome that.
- It does appear that Lazo takes a peek and notices Mayo coming. Lazo admits, if the friend reported accurately, that he saw something out of the corner of his eye. I absolutely agree that Mayo has no business anywhere near him, but it also does seem that Lazo might have embellished the fall a little.

Even with good, even great, high school teams, it would seem to me that the educational value of athletics would remain paramount. Sadly, I don't see much evidence of that....