Thread: Shoes
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I love comments like this. I wish I had a bingo card whenever I see them so I could play along:

-- It's not about us
-- It's about the game
-- Think of the children
-- etc.

Hightower is an officiating legend. I find it amusing that people criticize him and speak down like they're watching some random JV HS game somewhere.

And saying Valentine doesn't get noticed means you haven't watched a lot of Teddy V over the years. This was as good a crew as you're going to get on a Big 10 game.

The nonsense about a stripe on the shoe should be on the bingo card, too. These guys are wearing whatever shoe is most comfortable and helps them hurt less after games. Period. Just cause some supervisor thinks it's important doesn't mean others do -- or even notice.
Rich, you are way off base with my comments. Ed is a very good official, but over the years, it seems as if he is getting more dramatic. Yes, Ted gets dramatic, but not as OFTEN as Ed. I just think he is overdramatic too often. On big calls, yes, sell it with authority, but they are not all that big.

I agree with you on the shoes, no biggy to have one stripe or swoosh.

I have seen plenty of Big 10 BB over the years and the only better crew, IMO, is to have Steve Welmer instead of Hightower.