Thread: Cheerleaders
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Angry

This happened in a game the other night. Just as a free thrower was about to start her shooting motion, the opposing cheerleaders started a cheer on that end about 20 ft. from the shooter. My first thought was to go with a lane violation, so I blew my whistle after the shot. Luckily, she missed the rim and I went with a violation on the shooter and we went the other way. In retrospect, I could just hear myself telling the coach, "lane violation, on the cheerleader with the pigtails and freckles!" My thinking was to the rule about the band not playing during the game and also bench personnel not disconcerting the free thrower. Rule 9-1-5 and 4-34 covers this play. I don't think it would have been the end of the world to give her another free throw, although the rules don't support it. It would have been nice to have been able to give them a warning before they started the cheer. I don't think they were smart enough to start the cheer just as she started to shoot. Anyone else have this situation and how did you handle it.
Keep 'em "straight up"