Thread: advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by ref5678

My name is Dylan Ferguson I'm 14 years old and a pretty good umpire. But I'm only starting out so i was wondering if any of you more experienced umpires had any tips, advice, or information you could pass along to a new umpire.

1. Even though you are only 14, when your on the Field you should be treated with respect just as an adult umpire should get. One of the main problems with Managers / Coaches when they see a young Blue umpiring one of their games is that they tend to look at the AGE and not the individual so they think they can intimidate you. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN.

2. As another poster suggested, find an adult umpire whom you respect and have that person Mentor you. Also, it's very important that the league in which you umpire in supports the men / women and young adults. I had some teenagers come up to me in tears because of the abuse they took. No League should ever let that happen.

3. One of the main problems with Young Blues is that they know most of the players. Remember, when your out there on the Field you are neutral and except for your partner - YOU HAVE NO FREINDS. I know this from experience as I have umpired my own sons / daughter's game and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

4. As far as training goes, I believe you have to be an adult or at least be accompanied by one to attend the away schools In addition, you might need parental consent as well, but I am not an attorney, so perhaps others can answer your training question as it relates to going away and staying at a particular facility .

The one thing I do know is that the local leagues normally put on mini clinics and you are allowed to attend those.

Good Luck!

Pete Booth