View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Blarge--does it exist?

This is from a discussion being held over on the NFHS forum. This was posted by an official who calls himself Joe Advantage. It was in response to a poster asking how you should handle a classic "blarge"- i.e. one official calling a block and the other official calling a charge. It basically was the exact same play as outlined in case book play 4.19.8SitA.

Following are Joe Advantage's comments re: a blarge.

It is impossible. Someone is wrong. Legal guarding position was obtained or it was not a block OR it's a charge. IT IS NOT BOTH. That's a BS call. It's the worst call in basketball anyone who calls it does the game a great dis-service. How hard is to say to the other official "well, I didn't have the best look or you may have had a better look or it was your primary". It's a BS call. A total cop-out and I have never called it in 18 years and will NEVER call it. Plus read what is legal guarding position and what is a charge and tell me HOW you can have both. Impossible. It's one or the other. The book only gives you an escape route. In this case you have two bonehead officials who won't agree that someone had a better view.
First, there is NO rule for a "blarge". There is only a "what to do" if you have it, a "what to do" if you have two separate calls and can't agree on one of them. There is NO rule, only a resolution, and it's the only listed resolution because the NFHS did not want to say - "the two officials will have to stand there at mid-court and argue who is correct until a decision as to whether it was a legal guarding position or not is decided by the two officials involved. Again "COP-OUT" and please show me in the rule book how you can have legal guarding position on a player at the same time. Impossible, it's just two people with contradicting calls.
The case book isn't "rules". The forward states "the interpretations and rulings...are official" but they are NOT rules. They are listed as "situations" and if two knuckleheads call a double foul in situation 4.19.8SitC that's how to rule it, but NOWHERE does it say that you HAVE to call a double foul. And I still say "Don't" because you cannot have a charge and a block between the same two players at the same time. It's one or the other.

Those are JoeAdvantage's statements pretty much verbatim. Your comments? I'll hold mine until later.