View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Ummmm, Frank is taking the ASA test. Therefore it is incorrect to explain that a force is reinstated. The runner can be tagged or the base can be tagged as a proper appeal that the runner did not touch the base. If the test question asked if the runner forced out by stepping on the base, the answer would be False.

The question is number 2.

True or false. "A forced runner that touches the next base and retreats toward the base they last occupied must be tagged in order to be put out."

This is False. The fielder can simply step on the base. This is in no way a missed base appeal. It is a reinstated force. No appeal to the umpire is necessary.

If you're talking about the play I gave, that's also a reinstated force. But even if it were an appeal for the third out, the run would still not count, since the third out was a force play. (Appeal for advantageous fourth out would be something different in ASA, since the appealed runner did not score.) The only question in my scenario would involve whether the force out would be considered a separate play that occurred after the play in which the run scored. I don't think it would be, since ASA does not recognize breaks in continuous action.

Last edited by greymule; Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 10:25pm.