Thread: Need Some Help
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

One thing told to me that has helped a lot is (esp. works when you have off ball coverage) to pick out one to three competative matchups in your area and focus on them. Usually there is just one or two. That way you don't have to worry about all the players who may be in your area or not in your area. Some players are just standing there waiting for the action to come to them. You don't need to focus as much on them. Just the competative matchups.

And yes, the defense is the key to officiating. You can usually tell by watching the defender, who's foul it is. For example, on a Player control foul, the defender may have been hit in the chest with the dribbler's shoulder. You would also have noted that the defender had a LGP. Or if the defender fouls, for example, you can see him move into the shooter during a shot, or see his arms angle down on the shooter causing contact.

I also agree with Mick, first watch the pivot foot. They say referee from the feet up. So for me, it usually starts with watching the offensive player's feet, then on to the defensive player.