Thread: Venting
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jway44
If you give the fans any sign that you are paying them attention, it will only get worse. Just remind yourself that there is a reason that you are on the floor, and they are in the stands. You are going home with the check in your pocket and they paid to watch you work. (not really, but you know what I mean) The best way to handle fans is to completely ignore them. If they think that you are the least bit bothered, they will only get worse. If they use profanity or do something that requires action, go to game management and let them handle it. We are there to do a service for the schools, not the fans in the stands. Ignore them, always smile, and remember that you and your partners are the only people in the gym who do not care how the contest ends. Everyone else in the building is there pulling for one team or the other, so there is automatic bias toward anyone that is not "for" their team.
So the other night when I told a fan he "didn't have the nutz to officiate", I was being unprofessional?