View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 01:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
You shold never make stuff up so in that respect your partner is wrong....

I will have to take the DARK SIDE on this one, but good game management means knowing who is in foul trouble. You shold know who has fouls?

Why? I have had a couple of games where visitor book had 3, home book had only two ( assigned foul to wrng person) and it was corrected because my partner and I knew the fouls. It is tough to keep track mentally of all of them particularly if there are 30 or 40 fouls called. but you should have an idea.

If you know who just picked up their third foul, and it is a starter I might be more lenient in getting a sub in so that they dont pick up the fourth.

If I know they have four, the fifth foul will need to be a good call. I have no problem with fouling out a kid. (Ask the dozen or so kids so far this year) The fifth foul should not be ticky tacky, or a slight brush foul....
Kelvin - I have to say I disagree with just about everything you say here. If you called games in which you didn't call a foul on a player because you knew he had 4 when you would have called that same amount of contact a foul if he had fewer fouls, I would ask never to officiate with you again. This attitude is 180 degrees opposite to the spirit, intent and letter of the rules.

Maybe the insight into your position is your statement that you "...have no problem with fouling out a kid." I have never "fouled out a kid." I am not responsible for kids committing fouls. They do that themselves - I just point it out to everyone when it happens. If they do it five times in a game, they are gone.

You talk about fouls being "ticky tacky, or a slight brush foul...". Again - an action is either always a foul, or never a foul - period. When you act like you suggest, then you , not the kids, are deciding the outcome of the game.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Feb 10th, 2002 at 12:10 PM]