View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter
I want to preface this by saying I'm nowhere in the league of almost all officials here!! I'm a student that does intramurals for my college, we run by NCAA rules, run 2 man crews. We've got some training - it's basic - but not all the fundamentals - in reality, it's enough to get by, but not enough to any time feel 100% comfortable. I always KNOW there is something minute that could come up that I wouldn't administer the correct ruling on, and it's the mechanics kill me!

That being said, I try to learn a lot from watching NCAA bball, am always looking over the rules and cases, and reading up on sites like these - and I usually don't miss HUGE calls, from what I can gather.

But I missed one a couple days ago - 7th game of the day (we run 1 hour games), was under the basket, 2 man crew - >10 seconds left in the half (we use a running clock), player drives into the lane, puts up a layup, and goes flying/tumbling past me. I don't call anything, and as clock expires, he goes ape crazy yelling all those words they dont teach in english class at the top of his lung, and I guess, whack, you know the rest of the story.

What bothers me is I am 99% sure I missed the call, and had to give him a technical for it - apparently from behind him, someone shoved the heck outta him on his back, and I was screened, and didn't see guy shoving him (the guy apologized to him for shoving him on his drive 30 secs later). My partner, on the opposite side, (I guess T for trail?), didn't see anything either.

If I can miss a call like this so easily, I know I'm probably missing other calls - what are some tips I can get in positioning to see the play in a 2 man crew? Are there any guidelines - like even where to stand on the baseline, or where to stand when the trail (or any basic rules of thumb to give to a pre-rookie)? We have ex-varsity big ten players on the court, and the level of competition is high - but I'm still struggling on what I'm sure are basic fundamentals! and even the attitude to have when I know I missed a call isn't the right one - it definitely affected the rest of my game.

Makes me just respect the guys who do this in high school and the next level even more!!!
Wildcatter...Good on ya for working hard to make yourself a better official. However, I would advise you to stop doing college intramural games, by far, IMO, the absolute worst games to officiate. Why not find your local association, join it, get real training, and start calling rec and lower level school games leading to future HS and higher games. Did I mention college intramurals are the absolute worst games to officiate? I called them one year and refuse to call them anymore.