View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

I don't know what level of game this is, or what type of site this is, but I think that there are times when we as officials shouldn't read into things and should choose our battles wisely. The best advice is what is always said on this board, get in, get done and get out. I don't know if you should necessarily have sent a report in to the assignor either, as now you are bringing more people into a situation that really is between you and the site administrator.

In terms of the actual conflict, I really don't think that it's any of your business if the site administrator wants to have a word with the visiting coach, particularly if it's not affecting the game. I know it's unpleasant, but really, in the scheme of things, it's minor. As soon as she tried to defend herself, just let her have the last word and walk away. Then, if you're uncomfortable, just request not to work at that site anymore. I think that sending this report in makes you look bad, particularly if this site administrator is established, and can get you a reputation within your group as someone who causes problems, a label that is hard to shake, and one that can severely restrict your advancement and schedule. I've heard many assignors say that the best officials that they have are the ones who work games and the assignor does not get a phone call.

In terms of the original situation with the subs, I'd probably say something to him like, "We're doing our best here, please help us by making sure your players go all the way to the X so we can see them better." Something like that to put the onus on the coach and let him know you're trying to help him out, try not to be standoffish. Just my opinion, but if you haven't sent the letter, I'd reconsider sending it.