View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 09:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Please do not tell this really happened in a high school game? Having asked the question, I will address the play because I have posted about this very type of player last Fall.

NFHS R10-S3-A5: A player shall not grasp either basket during the time of the officials' jurisdiction, dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball prior to or during the game or during any intermission until jurisdiction of the officials has ended. This item applies to all squad members.

NFHS R10-S3-A8e: A player shall not commit an unsportsmanlike foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.

You have a false multiple foul, both A2 and A3 receive a technical fou. A2 for R10-S3-A8e and A3 for R10-S3-A5. [/B]
Ah,Mark,I disagreed with you last fall and I still disagree with you.First T for the act of lifting kills the play,and then you ignore the dunk(it's not unsportsmanlike).Here we go-round-the-mulberry-bush again,eh? [/B][/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct that the technical foul by A2 makes the ball dead, and A3 then proceeded to dunk a dead ball. What A2 and A3 did is not basketball. If A3 was going in for a layup and commits a travel violation we do not penalize the dunking of the dead ball because that is not what the Rules Committee intended, plus there are Casebook Plays that cover the play to which I just refered. But A2 and A3's little stunt was meant to make a travesty of the game, just like in the game that I had the three technical fouls for the two players in the play that I posted in the Fall.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio