Thread: I'm confused
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I really wasn't confused when I posted, I was just mad -- because I knew I was right
I can understand giving in if you're the umpire, and the referee clearly makes a wrong call. But when you're the referee, and your umpire makes a clearly wrong call, it's up to you to make sure the call is right. You have the final say as referee, and allowing a clearly wrong rule interpretation ultimately is on you.

When you are 100% (not 99%) sure your partner is wrong, and you're on the stand, get it right, and don't worry about how your partner feels about it. It can be done professionally without looking like you are showing your partner up, but your job is to fairly administer the match, and if you're going to sit back and allow someone who is clearly wrong administer an incorrect penalty, then that's just as much on you as it is on him.

Sorry for the tough words. Believe me, I've been told much worse over the years. You'll hopefully learn from this and decide to be more confident and assertive in the future.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee