View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 08:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Unless you call a techincal for violating 10-3-4 every time a player trying for goal by successfully dunking the ball grasps the rim as a part of the normal dunking motion, causing it to be pulled down between 1 and 4 inches (which, in my experience, happens about 98% of the time on a dunk), I don't advocate calling a technical for violating 10-3-4 when the try by dunking is unsuccessful, as in the OP. And I'm going to go ahead and guess that I'd be laughed out of the gym for calling this in front of my assignors/evaluators - and not in a funny way.

My call: Ball not in the cylinder = no-call.
Sigh....

Whatintheheck does a player grasping the rim after dunking the ball have to do with this play? In the play being discussed, the player grabbed the rim during a loose ball! The player lost control of the ball BEFORE dunking it. There was NO dunk!!! What happened with the ball after the player lost control of it is completely irrelevant as long as the player didn't touch the ball while it was in the cylinder, or touch the basket while the ball was on or within the basket. And the player didn't do either of those acts, as was specifically written in the original post.

And if your assignors/evaluators don't agree with my ruling and want to laugh about it, tell them it might be a good idea to borrow a case book from somebody and read case book play 10.3.4SitB(b) before busting out laughing. This case play is almost exactly the same as the original post. In both situations, a player grabbed the ring, but let go of it before the ball was on the ring or in the basket. Therefore, by rules 9-11 & 4-6, there was no BI. Then, specifically ask them to read the sentence in the RULING of the case play cited above that says "A1's grasping is not penalized if it is judged there was a possibility of injury had he/she not grasped the basket." Iow, it is a technical foul if the ring is grasped when there is no chance of injury.

Your call is wrong.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 09:00pm.