View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Remember, more than twenty-years ago, when a ball went in the basket and the basket would not count, i.e. travel before the basket, offensive basket interference, offensive free throw violation, etc., the proper mechanic at the time was to give the defensive team the throw in at a spot on the new backcourt sideline at the foul line extended. The purpose of the mechanic was to let the table know that the basket didn't count. For extra credit, who can tell us when this mechanic changed?
Sometimes I say that FIBA is a bit late in getting good suggestions from the USA: for us it is still required a throw-in from the sideline in the cases you mention. Do they (and the old guys of NFHS) think that the table officials are necessarily dumb? And mark a score if they see a baseline throw-in after the official has waved off the basket?

For many years there was no baseline throw-in in FIBA, except after baskets, just for the same reason. Players still can't have jerseys numbered 1, 2 and 3, in order to "avoid confusion with the table". I ask myself: how do they do in the USA? Are they always called back by the scorekeeper to make clear if it was "foul by number 2" or "2 free throws"? Do scorekeepers mark a foul on player #3 if they see an official who calls and signals "3 seconds"? I guess not.

Ciao