View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalsCoach
I come to this site almost daily and have really learned alot. Unlike like most coaches I love to study the rules and feel pretty confident in my knowledge. My question involves incorrect application of the rules. How do I handle these during a game and after the game? Is there any hope during the game? During a game can I get another official to give the incorrect official additional information ( correct rule) and have the call changed? This happens all of the time on balls tipped out of bounds. One official helps another. After the game should I just let it drop and have the official continue to use an incorrect rule or should I approach the official?

So far this year I have had :
1.a five second closely guarded in the back court

2.an opponent call time out during a pass and been told this is legal because there is team possession during a pass

3.twice been told you cannot be the first to touch the ball back in bounds when you deflect the ball and your momentum carries you out of bound.

4. I have been told I cannot yell foul at the end of the game or it will be an intentional foul.

5. During the captains meeting been told a prewrap in the girls hair must be the same color. This was a month after the NFHS and the state of Illinois had made a clarificaton.

These are just a few I can think of at this time.
You've already been given several answers on here. Unfortunately, some were correct but there were also mistakes in them. You are wise to question each situation as your beliefs are correct.

#1. No 5 count until in the front cout.

#2. The timeout should not be granted unless the requesting team is either holding or dribbling the ball. It should NOT be granted when the pass is in the air.

#3. The only time this hold true is for a throwin. After a deflection, any player, including the one who went OOB and returned, may touch the ball.

#4. This was once correct but the NFHS reversed itself and said that fouls should be judged on the action, not the instruction.

#5. Again, you are correct. Prewrap has no color restrictions.

Now, as to how to deal with them. Probably not much you can do on most of them except smile and move on. For the refs that don't know the rules, they're not likely to believe you.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 03:43am.