View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I understand that there is a rule on how to enforce this. But please do not call this. All you are going to do is cause a problem for yourself. Even if you get this right, no one will understand it and you will spend more time explaining it than enforcing it. If the shooter is fouled, consider the next contact to be a result of the contact on the shot.
I agree with you: don't call this. But I would say why in a different way: we cannot know for sure if the shooter would have made a charge without the previous foul.

I've seen double contacts of this kind, but I've never seen them called as a "false double foul". OK, the defender had good position, but the shooting foul put the shooter out of balance. And we know that equilibrium is critical in basketball. I could think of a double call in some very rare situations but, in such cases, I would think whether to call only the charge.

Let's look at another situation: A1 is a dribbler, B1 has LGP on A1; B2 pushes A1 who then "charges" B1. Are we calling a foul on A1? No, you say, because the contact between A1 and B1 is a dead ball contact. But why the rules say that the ball does not become dead after a foul on a shooter? Just to allow the shooter to finish their movement and score.

Ciao