View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not everyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Sorry JR. but i disagree with you about HS coaches knowing who are good officials. Every state that has coaches input as proof that coaches don't have a clue. Just so i don't make a blanket statement, If you take 100 coaches, maybe 3 or 4 might be able to distinguish between a bad and good official, using officiating standards. Now having said this, Perception is everything, if a coach THINKS you are a bad official then in his eyes you ARE a bad official.

One of these days, someone is going to actually take what I say in some kind of context.

I did not say ALL COACHES. Coaches do for the most part, especially the veteran coaches know who the good officials are and the good officials are not. They need to understand this because if they do not, it hurts their team. Obviously you are going to have those younger guys that think everyone is horrible and all of them are out to get them. But the coaches that have been around the block (as well as the officials that have been around the block) knows what kind of game they are going to get from the officials on the floor. You are always going to have exceptions, but when coaches feel they have good officials they do not try all the crap and say everything to those officials that know better.

A coach knows when an official calls everything under the sun and and official that lets the game play itself out. These guys/gals watch the tape. And if they are good coaches they realize what their kids do wrong. They better or they will not improve as a team. And if coaches around here spend their time rating officials low, they might see what they do not want to see when time the playoffs come around.

Look, coaches do not want officials that cannot handle themselves or the game when the pressure is on. It is not in their best interest. And in this state, that can be a problem if they do. There is not room for error in the playoffs. So if you get some guys/gals that have no clue, the coaches can take some blame for that happening.

But then again, in Illinois we were having a hell of a time getting coaches to rate officials anyway. And it is only a small percentage of what determines the playoff officials. Actually ranking, association's rankings and how many varsity games you had mean more. And it is not like any ranking is going to blackball anyone. So who cares.

Peace