Thread: Did I kick this
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
1 second left in the game. team A is leading by 2. Team A is to imbound

This is from the original post. Mis-spelling aside, it appears that the clock showed 0:01 and must have been stopped when the inbound play began. He did not glance up according to his post to see the one second at the whistle. He said there was one second left when Team A is inbounding. I still have this as 'game over' as the touch by the other team on the throw-in started the clock.
He did say that he saw that there was 1 second left when Team A was inbounding, but you are incorrect when you say that he did not glance up at the whistle. Here is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
... I am trail and watching clock, ... I saw 1 on the clock when the whislte blew so I had definate knowledge ...
Now since 0:01 on the board could mean that the control panel computer could have as much as 0:01.9 seconds that it is counting down from. .99 seconds is more than enough time for the play in the OP to have occurred.

The referee does not know if the timer started the clock correctly, however, he also does not know that he didn't "time in" when B1 touched the ball. The only definite knowledge that the ref. had was that there was on second on the clock when the ball was being inbounded and there was one second on the clock when the whistle blew.

Since there could have been just under two "actual" seconds in the game (the board not displaying tenths, so we don't know for sure), and as described, the play could have taken less than a second, and it is entirely possible that the timer did start the clock properly, and since the ref had "definite knowledge" that the board was displaying 1 second when the whistle went off, I'm having a hard time grasping why the referee shouldn't put the one second back on the clock and give the ball to Team B to inbound.